Thursday, April 17, 2008

Replacing the color wheel for the Samsung HL-Rxx67W

A couple of days ago I replaced the color wheel on my Samsung HL-R5067W DLP Television. I was pretty anxious about doing this myself, but it ended up being pretty easy. I thought it might be helpful if I posted the steps I took and some of the pictures I used to help remember what it all looked like when I started. I think anyone who has replaced parts inside a PC will have no problem at all. I apologize in advance for not taking enough photos, but I think these instructions along with you looking at the real thing should work fine.

Symptoms: In case you’re wondering if the problem you’re having is the color wheel, I can tell you what symptoms I was having. While watching TV, I heard a knock or pop followed by a very loud humming noise that seemed to surge and subside, surge and subside. At the same time, the colors on the picture started flickering. I still had a picture, but the colors were all wonky. The humming noise as well was far too loud to be able to watch even if the picture was decent.I’ve read from other posts, that some had the picture go out and some had the TV turn itself off. The one constant across posts is the humming although for some it started quiet and grew.Anyway, because of the color flicker, I was fairly confident I had a color wheel problem.

Tools:
1. A couple of different medium sized Phillips head screwdrivers.
2. A jewelers flat head screwdriver (the kind you might fix eye glasses with).
3. Flashlight
4. Vacuum (I used this rather than compressed air because I didn’t want to just blow the dust around.
5. Zip loc bags.
6. Digital camera. I took several pics along the way so I’d know what it looked like before I did something. I wish I’d taken twice as many so take plenty.

Orientation:You’ll be sitting behind the TV, so when I say something is ‘Forward’, it’s closer to the screen. ‘Right’ vs. ‘Left’ is your right or left facing where the screen is pointing.

*Unplug the Power* If you’re not sure how, stop reading this and call a repair shop. This job isn’t for you.

Steps.
1. The first thing I did was make sure I could find the replacement wheel I needed. I did a search by model number on Partstore.com and found one quickly for $94.95. Not bad since the local repairman wanted to charge 120 just to come to my house to diagnose the problem. Here’s the link as of this posting http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/HLR5067W/Samsung/Samsung/BP9600674A/New.aspx Once finding that it was available, I decided not to buy it until I could see the old one to make sure it looked like the right one. So I started.

2. Time to start in. There are two panels on the back. The small one is for replacing the lamp and does not need to be removed. The large one will take the small one with it when you remove it. This larger panel spans the entire width of the back of the TV. Remove the screws and save. I put all screws that came from the same part of the TV in their own zip loc bag and labeled it like, “Back Panel”. Don’t remove the panel with all the component connectors.

3. Next remove the lamp cage. There are instructions with pictures on Samsung’s support website for this, but basically it’s just one screw on the left side of the cage. Remove the screw and the lamp cage slides out by pulling the handles on the left side.

4. Now, looking at the open area of the TV case (everything to the right of the component panel). Almost everything you see will be sliding out together. The floor of this space will eventually slide with everything on it coming with. When I did this, I removed or disconnected a bunch of things that didn’t need to be and the pictures I include will show that. Some things do need to be disconnected though. On this picture, the two connectors I’m pointing to, need to be disconnected and moved out of the way. The plastic rectangular guide that the ribbon cable goes through needs to be removed. Just pull it and it should come out. There is also a DVI cable with white connectors, one pointing forward and one poking through the metal divider wall on the left. You only need to disconnect the one going through the left wall. The other connectors marked ‘A’ and ‘B’ didn’t need to be disconnected.




5. In the next picture, I’m pointing to a power connector. Unclip this connector and slide the wires out of their plastic guide to the right. In this picture, you can also see how the floor of this area is a metal plate which goes bends vertically downward at the back of the TV. In a later step, you will be removing screws from this vertical area to allow the whole thing to slide.


6. There are two connectors which I don’t have a picture of, but are very obvious when you look to the right of this picture below. The wires from one of these connectors are contained in a black sleeve. Disconnect both of these connectors. The wires from both go through guides above the top of the opening all the way over to the left of the TV. Take them out of their guides until you can swing them out of this open space. The idea it there are parts of this unit which will get hung up on those wires when you slide it out if they aren’t moved out of the way.
**Note: This picture is a bit misleading because I removed several things on the left side of the picture which you don’t need to remove. Also, one of the things I removed from the left side(the circuit board) is sitting just above where I’m pointing. That’s obviously not what you’ll see. I didn’t know the whole thing was going to slide out.




7. This should be ready to slide. There are two screws on the vertical part of the metal floor. Remove them now. One of them (the rightmost of the two), also holds a thin shiny piece of metal. Swing that shiny metal out of the way once the screw is removed. Find places to get a grip on the metal floor and carefully slide it out. It has to be pulled out pretty evenly because there are guides which keep it in place. This is a very good thing for later when you put it back.
While you’re pulling keep an eye on the higher parts of the assembly to make sure they are clearing the opening and anything else I might have forgotten.

8. Once this has slid all the way out, if you rotate the entire unit clockwise ¼ turn you can see this next picture. The color wheel unit is the part with the metal fins in the center of the picture(vertically). Below it is a triangular metal shroud that covers the lamp cage you removed earlier. Above the color wheel unit is the projector lens assembly. The lens is surrounded by a flat piece of black plastic with black foam on one side. The plastic is horizontal and then toward the back of the TV it angles upward sort of like a ski tip. Once I got this out, I covered the projector lens with a clean cloth to protect it from dust and children since I was going to be waiting a few days for deliver of the new wheel.


9. Next, see if the color wheel unit can be removed now. I removed the large triangular piece, it’s fan and air duct first, but possibly not necessary. So try this first. To the upper left of the wheel unit (the part with the metal fins) there is a screw as well as another diagonally down and to the right across the unit. Remove them both and you should be able to lift the color wheel unit directly upward. If that worked, you can skip step 10 and go to 11.


10. This step is only if the wheel unit can’t be accessed because of the triangular lamp shroud. To the right of this picture is a black plastic air duct funneling air to (or from) a fan which is just below this picture. Remove the screws holding the top half of this air duct. Before pulling out the fan, note which way the fan is blowing so you’ll know which way to put it back in. I didn’t do this so I had to make an educated guess based on the shape of the fan’s power wire. Anyway, if anyone does this and would post what they see, that would help everyone else out. Once the fan is pulled, there are three screws directly opposite the fan through the space where the lamp goes. Remove these. You can also see some foil tape going from the brass screw in the picture. You’ll want to unhook that by removing the brass screw and pulling the tape off. This will allow you to put it back the way you found it whereas pulling the tape off the metal wall at the other end of the tape will probably lose any adhesive it had. With the shroud removed, you should be able to access the wheel unit described in step 9.


11. Before the wheel can be completely removed, there are two wires which must be disconnected. One is a connector with two grey wires and one blue. The other is a strange copper colored ribbon. The grey/grey/blue connector will need to be removed gently by prying is with your jewelers screwdriver. I wouldn’t pull on the wires. The copper one pulls right out. It doesn’t have a plastic connector. There’s also a piece of foil tape holding these wires in place. Peel it off. You may want to buy some to replace this with, but I didn’t. I couldn’t reuse that piece, so I just went without.

12. Once the wheel unit is removed, you should be able to see this looking down into the wheel well. You may not have the proof that the wheel was the problem as I did with shards of glass in the bottom. I vacuumed them out.


13. Now it’s time to put the new wheel in(once you’ve ordered and received it). For the most part, you’ll just reverse what you did before, but I’ll point a couple of things out. The wheel unit has a gasket to seal it to the wheel well. Thread the two wire groups out the way the old one did(it will probably come this way in the box although I had to play with the gasket a little because it kept falling off when I’d go to set it in the well. Carefully slide it in being careful not to touch the wheel on anything. Both to avoid smudges and to keep from breaking it. They’re probably tougher than I think, but those shards in the picture make me wary. Make sure the wires can reach their connectors and replace the two screws.


14. Plug the two wires from the wheel unit in. The grey/grey/blue one required me to use the flat side of a flat screwdriver to push it into place because it didn’t slide in nicely. Look at the picture(2 pictures up from here) to see the orientation of the wires(blue is closest in the picture). The copper one is a bit strange, the side of the connecting end with the exposed contacts will face toward the back of the TV(in the picture, they face left). It takes a bit of finger gymnastics to slide it in. If it flips back out, you didn’t put it in far enough. Once it’s in far enough, it’s held pretty firmly.


15. If you had to remove the fan, air duct and triangular shroud, replace them now including the foil tape to the brass screw. I don’t know what this does, but it looks intentional.


16. Rotate the unit ¼ turn counter clockwise. Find where the floor of the unit fits(almost like on rails) and start sliding it in. Keep an eye on the foam on the “ski tip” by the projector lens as you slide this. It may require you to lift the back of the unit a little as you slide it to keep from getting the foam hung up. The floor should slid in evenly and you’ll see the plastic and foam “ski” match up to the hole in the roof(separating this compartment from the large one above where the screen is. Don’t force it. You don’t want to cause the projector unit to be misaligned. Once the floor is in place, the two screw holes should line up with the holes they’ll be connected to. If they didn’t, you somehow got off line. It’s not as hard as it sounds. The screw holes lined up the first time when I did it.


17. Reconnect all wires and cables removed earlier and those with plastic guides should be rethreaded through the guides.


18. Slide the lamp cage back in place. It plugs itself in as you slide it on it’s rails so it should feel like it’s plugged in as you slide it. Replace it’s brass screw.


19. Check your zip loc bags to verify there are no extra parts or screws except for the back panel screws and replace the back panel.
20. Plug it back in, cross your fingers and hit the power button to test it out.


I hope this is at least helpful. It took me a couple of hours to pull apart and an hour and a half to put back together, but that was using a post for guidance with pictures that didn’t look much like my TV and removing or disconnecting several things that didn’t need to be. Please post if you have additional suggestions or if you noticed something I forgot to mention.

70 comments:

Anonymous said...

After replacing the color wheel I am told I have to adjust something? How do I do this so the color will now be o.k.?

Unknown said...

Debbie, you have to adjust the index delay and the cca. Instructions are in the service manual for your tv available at samsungparts.com or elsewhere on the web. You have to go into the service menu to do the adjustments and the instructions are in the service manual.

Anonymous said...

Thanks...I have now replaced my color wheel..it was shattered! NOW, when I put everythingback together, I turned the tv on and it went on for about five seconds and then went off. The "Lamp and Standby/Temp" lights are flashing on the foront of the set. Is this because I have not put the back on the tv yet or did I maybe put the fan in backwards? Is there a way to tell which way the fan should go? I notice in these instructions he warned about this but I can't tell if the fan is working. (the large fan under the triangular shroud I had to remove). Or will everything maybe work once I put the back on? I just don't want to put all those screws back in if I need to take it off again. Thanks!
Debbie

Marbles said...

there's a little switch in the back that gets pressed when the lamp door is in place. Have someone hold that in while you turn on your TV to see how things are.

Unknown said...

Yes, the whole tv has to be put together for it to work. There is a protection latch on the back panel that has to be in place.

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog, it will really help when I change out my wheel next week. One question though... How do I tell if it is the color wheel or one of the fans that is making the noise? The noise that our TV makes is similar to someone holding a piece of wire up to a fan, but louder. Just a constant "whirring" type noise. Its loud and obnoxious!

I got down next to the TV (while it was on) and it sounded like it was coming from the area where the bulb is. It could have been behind the bulb, but it was in that vicinity. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Thanks!

Marbles said...

That's definitely a different sound than what I had and what I've read from others with color wheel issues. If you're not having any color flickering in your picture, I'd bet your color wheel is OK. I'd suspect the bulb fan. Unfortunately you have to go through most of the steps for getting to the fan that you would for getting to the wheel.

Unknown said...

Thank you Mr. Marbles for this great blog entry. This blog was soooo helpful in diagnosing the problem with my HLR5667, and then eventually fixing it! I had the exact same symptoms - an unexpected loud pop, very loud and annoying humming/buzzing noise, and the flickering, awful colors. Since I was still a little unsure about whether this was a color wheel or a lamp problem, I followed the directions in your blog to access the color wheel. The source of the problem was painfully clear when I saw the filter fragments in the bottom of the color wheel housing...

Either way, I credit your detailed and informative blog with giving me all the pointers (and confidence) I needed to sucessfully complete the repair myself. The TV is now working great!!! Thankfully we DVR'd the closing ceremony for the Olympics - I guess we'll watch tomorrow night. Thanks again!

Marbles said...

Andy, I'm so glad it could help. It makes it even more worth the time spent when it can help someone else out.

Anonymous said...

This is a life saver! my 6167 started to make noise about a week ago. It wasn't a constant, but every 30 min or so it would start. I called Samsung, and it was $85 to come out and see what the problem was, $150 for the wheel and $200 for install. I said thankx but no thankx, used your steps, and pulled out my color wheel. No breakage, but the spinning sounds VERY rough, so I have ordered my new one, and will install it in a few days! Thankx again!!!

Marbles said...

love to hear it papabrox. I had similar quotes from the repair people around here.

Anonymous said...

Got my color wheel and installed it :) It was quick and easy! My family is back to using the big TV! Thank you again for saving us a good chunk of money!

Hank said...

Well your directions were great and the color wheel was my problem, but like Debbie above I have the Temp and Lamp flashing after turning the set back on. I went through the entire procedure again (short of uninstalling the new color wheel) and can't get past this problem. Any suggestions???

Marbles said...

Hank, the only thing I can think of is to make sure nothing is blocking your fans from spinning. I had unnecessarily removed the little fan and when I put it back on, I faced it the wrong way which didn't allow it to spin. When I turned the set on, I got an on screen error and then it shut down. Maybe you've got a wire blocking the big fan or something. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anonymous said...

hello, youre instructions are great but how in the heck are these people replacing thier colorwheels without scratching them?? i have a hl-r6167w that i'm trying to repair myself and i cannot put the old color wheel in and out without scratching it more each time. is this where removing the lens cover ski boot thing comes into play?? i didn't on mine and it scratches on metal down in there every time!! any tips or tricks?? please help me!!

Marbles said...

You shouldn't have to touch the wheel itself at all. The replacement comes in a housing which seats on top of the 'wheel well.' If the replacement you got was just the wheel itself, that would be a problem.

Anonymous said...

ok,when you're seating the colorwheel into the "wheel well" is there a way you can avoid scratching it on the metal "prongs" that are just waiting down there to scratch it up?? i read somewhere that you could loosen up the part that directs light into the colorwheel,this is where the scratchy prongs are. any ideas??

Marbles said...

Sorry. I don't recall any prongs. The last picture on my post shows what my wheel well looked like and it had plenty of room to set the wheel down. Do you have a different model?

Anonymous said...

replaced bulb and color wheel, VERY simple, an I'm extremely electrical unintelligent. Unfortunatly, I still get a couple green square flashes now an then on the screen? Any other tips on what it might be?

Marbles said...

didn't see anything like the green flashes. hopefully someone else reading this might recognize it.

Anonymous said...

I just replaced by color wheel in my samsung hl-r5067w, everything went ok, the picture is a little off, people look like they are more painted than real people, i called a service place and they suggested that I need to change the index delay. I haven't done it yet, but will try. I am not for sure to change the index up or down. I am an electronic tech, but work on surgical medical equip.
Thanks!
David

Anonymous said...

I have an older samsung, hln5065WX/XAA, which I just replaced the color wheel. Maybe my service manual is an early revision, but I cannot find any procedures for the adjustment of the index delay. I have seen several posts about adjusting the index delay and the CCA, but my service manual doesn't even list a CCA adjustment in the service mode menu, much less a procedure for adjusting it and the index delay. In fact all it lists for the color wheel after replacement is to set the delay value to factory default and then adjust to the position where the color red is strongest. Instead of continuing to suggest that people look at their service manual for the color wheel adjustment procedure they should list them or scan the pages and post them as images.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the instructions... very helpful. I just replaced my color wheel today. I waited for the part more than a month. I forgot how everything was put together and I lost the pictures that I took during the disassembling... but still it took very little time putting everything back together. Turned the tv... everything seems to work fine... do I need to calibrate anything?

Thanks,
Michael

Marbles said...

Glad it could be of help. I haven't needed to calibrate anything as far as the color goes, although I'm looking into what appears to me to be something like overscanning where part of the bottom of the picture is off the screen. I only notice it when a ticker(like on ESPN) is on the bottom of the screen.

Dr. Shrinker said...

Thanks so much...just replaced mine following your directions and it went pretty darn well (I usually screw up projects like this a few times). Only a couple issues:

Taking off the fan housing to get to the color wheel assembly: you left off the step of taking off the BOTTOM part of the housing. I eventually figured it out.

Also, my supplier only sent the wheel itself, not the entire unit. Made changing it a bit trickier, but we still managed, using the eyeglasses screwdriver on tbe TINY screws.

Picture is awesome on hi-def, but looks a little worse on regular...gotta find out about getting into the service manual and adjusting CCA.

Thanks again for your amazing help!

Anonymous said...

this blog helped me alot ! thanx a million!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Marbles you are awesome! You are saving me about $400.00 dollars. Following your instructions I feel like a TV repairman! I just pulled my color wheel out. You don't have to remove the triangualr part with the fan. I gave it a spin when it came out and there was that wire in a fan sound which the set was making. I had a perfect picture but that insane buzzing noise. I'm ordering the new one now. I'll let you know how it goes after I install it. Thank you for helping! Tom

Marbles said...

That's great Tom. I love hearing that it helps. Do let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

GOt the part in today Mr. Marbles. I'm watching my Astros and the picture is perfect and the noise is gone. Hopefully I'm good for a few more years. Money is tight during these tough times. I can't thank you enough! Is you set still doing great? Tom

Marbles said...

That's awesome Tom. Mine's still making it. I did have to replace a lamp a few months back but that's pretty normal for how much our set is on.

Unknown said...

Like Debbie & Hank, I too easily got the color wheel replaced...great instructions! But got the same flashing LEDs on the front. The user's manual says it indicates a bad bulb, so I replaced that too...same problem.

The bulb fan I really didn't have to take off, but I did unscrew it and slid it out so I could access the color wheel screws easier. I am positive I put it back in as it was.

I'm going to take it apart again and be sure I've re-connected everything properly.

Has anyone else who has had the blinking LEDs afterwards figured out what their issue was?

Unknown said...

Quick follow-up. I noticed in the instructions posted by "Marbles" that the little ribbon cable going from the color wheel to the circuit board; the shiny contacts need to face rear. I had them inserted wrong.

I opened it up, turned the ribbon cable around and...wa la!!! The thing is working PERFECTLY!! at least for now. So, for a total of $350 I have a new color wheel, and a spare bulb since the original one wasn't bad.

Thanks for all the help and postings on this board...couldn't have done it without all the feedback.

Anonymous said...

I was able to remove and install the new color wheel easily on my HLP4663WX/XAC. However the colors are way off, seems like the blue is reverse with the red color. The color wheel CCA Value came with the new color wheel and l was able to input the values. No change at all. What else is there that need to be adjusted. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Anonymous...Though I don't necessarily have color issues...they seem to be fine. I do have an issue when the picture is dark. For instance, while watching a show, when there is something like a light bulb on in a dark room. There seem to be "halos" (for lack of a better description) around the light. I've tried re-setting to the TVs factory settings, which helped a little, but for the most part the "halos" are still there.

Marbles said...

it's been a while since I did mine so I don't recall if it's possible to put the cable from the color wheel in backwards but that's what it sound like Anonymous is seeing.

Unknown said...

There are two (2) color wheel cables. One with a white, pin-type female connector, which shouldn't be able to be put in backwards. However, the 2nd cable is a ribbon cable with a friction/slip type connector. That can be put in backwards, as I learned myself. However, when it was put in backwards, it wasn't color issues I had...the TV wouldn't turn on at all.

Anonymous said...

Great instructions. I have an HL-R6768W, but the instructions work just as well for it. I even had the glass shards, exactly like the picture. Sad news is, the color wheel is on nationwide backorder and won't be availble for weeks. So we'll be watching the 'tube' for a while.

Anonymous said...

I just changed my color wheel. I removed the whole projection unit and found out that I did not have to.Only 2 screws should have been removed. Now Everything is working fine, except TV has 1.5 inch vertical stripe on the right side. I think projector is moved a little bit so I get this stripe. I tried to adjust it using mute 182 power and entering service menu. But no luck.

Nathan said...

Great instructions... many thanks for saving me a bundle (of time / money / remorse) on my HL-R5067W.

2 notes:
- either I removed 2 cables I didn't have to (the ones stretching all the way across the top) or there's another power cable not mentioned (top middle of sliding assembly). no harm either way.
- The color wheel assembly I bought (on ebay, from http://myworld.ebay.com/remoteexpress-kamtools; highly recommended) had a "front" screw that seemed off... really had to wiggle and force it in diagonally, hoping the whole time that I'm not breaking this over-priced kaleidoscope :D

Happy New Year!

Nathan said...

One more for the road:
After changing the wheel we noticed that the picture was off, kind of a low-rez CGI / halo effect on either low or high light areas (depending on the user menu setting). I'm assuming this is what some of you were describing.

Went into the service menu (TV off: Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - ON) and played with the Index Delay (under the service menu); simply used my eyes to asses if the WRGBs looked smooth (value of ~40 did it for me).
Restarted... problem solved (I think).

Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

FYI...saw on a Samsung 'how-to' website that you should wear vinyl (surgical or cleaning type) gloves while making repairs so the bulb or wheel don't get fingerprints on them.

Anonymous said...

after changing color wheel everything was ok except bluey around white color. To correct this problem CCA adjustment tried.
After putting white X 0, white Y 0, white Z 0 screen had nothing but black. Is there anybody know how to reset CCA back to it was or factory setting.

haffy said...

after changing color wheel on my Samsung HL-R6167W. everything was ok except bluey around white color. To correct this problem CCA adjustment tried.
After putting white X 0, white Y 0, white Z 0 screen had nothing but black. Is there anybody know how to reset CCA back to it was or factory setting.

mitch said...

thanks. It was the same symptoms as blogger. I changed color wheel and it is perfect. Thanks Mike

Lon said...

These instructions were perfect!! I had no problems fixing my TV. Thanks for posting these! Lon

Anonymous said...

I tried to replace the color wheel and during the process I think the color wheel connector broke off the Board. What are my options? Can I still install my new color wheel in a different spot/connector or should I order a new Board. Any suggestion will be very useful.

Unknown said...

Replaced the color wheel on my Samsung HLP4663w using the instructions found on the internet (slight differences in procedure, but worked fine). Ran into the red-blue color problem, removed the jumper as directed. Had posterization of colors even after removing the jumper. Found the service menu fix as reported here. Had to try several menu choices as the "index delay" wasn't on the main service menu. Found it under the "factory" choice. Changed it to 45 (from 37) and all is well! Thanks to jangro.com and this blog! By the way, I didn't have to adjust CCA at all.

Travis said...

Just a quick thanks for the info here. I too had a color wheel broken and replaced this and the lamp for 228.00 on a Samsung DLP. All the instructions were clear and easy to follow. Thanks again.

Justin said...

I replaced the original color wheel today in my HLR5667 that I've owned for 5 years after it started buzzing really loudly. It seems to have been a success, but I have a couple of questions:

I went into the service menu to change the CCA settings, but I don't see any reason to change them if it visually looks fine. Do I really need to do this? The numbers on the little sticker aren't significantly different than what I have. I have already changed in the Index Delay before changing the wheel.

This is an issue I've had before the color wheel, but thought I'd ask anyway. Is there any way to fix the overscan on these tv's? I have another HDTV to compare with and I notice there is some cropping on the DLP. If the overall picture could be shrinked, that would solve the problem. Is there anything in the service menu to deal with overscan? Thanks. Justin

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I switched my color wheel with no problems. Thanks to your info here.

Bob said...

My color wheel was shattered and these instructions were PERFECT. I went ahead and replaced the lamp since is was six years old and I had the back off the set. Wow - I've got a new TV.

The next time I do something like this on my own, I'm going to make the effort to document it on the internet. I had to change out the passenger-side motorized mirror on a Ford F250 last year and this guy in TX had done the same and posted instructions and pictures - it really helped out.

Thanks for the help on my Samsung! Anyone need instructions for palpating a cow?

Dave said...

Great Video. I had my TV up in running with a new color wheel in a couple of hours. Very helpful even though my Samsung was a different model, the basics are there. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Just replaced color wheel on my 6178-picture is great except I have a vertical shadow about 4 inches wide going down the left side of the screen - any clues on how to fix this

Eazy E Sports said...

Thanks for a your help. I follow a your instructions. I did everything right except that I almost forgot to put on the padding on the color wheel. Didnt take me that long to install about an 1 hour an half. I did save some money.

Anonymous said...

Hi...When I access the service menu (mute/8/2etc.) it brings up the service menu, but when I select a page to move through the process it does not do anything.

Any advice?

BTW, the reason I want to do this is after replacing my color wheel, the set came back on, but the colors are "splotchy" and the normal user adjustments won't clear the colors.

Anonymous said...

Can you buy the wheel in a actual walk-in store anywhere in NY?

Romeo said...

Thanks for the information in this site. I had to go a step further to get my color wheel to fit. I removed the fan and the grey metal piece from the circuit board to give myself for room. Otherwise, the part I bought wouldn't have fit.

CHris said...

Installed the color wheel but after putting it all together, the wheel does not turn at all and the lamp won't turn on either. The safety switch has been defeated. All the fans are running but no light source or no wheel! Help!

Sandstone Suppliers in India said...

Hello There,

this is really very nice blog and looking very nice. this blog is very helpfull for shopping .. we want come back on this blog...

samsung galaxy said...

Great work! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared
around the net. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning
this put up higher! Come on over and talk over with my website .
Thanks =)
http://www.iwalkusa.com/

Anonymous said...

Followed this for my TV tonight... Like a boss! :-) Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

e cigarette, vapor cigarette, e cig, electronic cigarette brands, smokeless cigarettes, electronic cigarette

GT said...

Hi trying to see if this shows up. Looks like posts are old

GT said...

Ok seems it works. My problem like most is my hlr5667w started going off and on. The difference with my problem is I have a blue screen not black or I don't have vertical lines. Changed my color where but no change. Can the wrong chassis l3 or l6 color wheel make a difference, how would the differences affect the TV? Anyway When the blue screen,( which looks like a normal screen) is on the remote does nothing, can't get to factory reset, when I push any button on my remote the timer light is displayed. Any button. Not any blog I read had the situation with the blue screen. I even thought maybe it was something not connected something simple. Bit frustrating. I was told to replace the color wheel, ( which I did) the lamp which I did not.(seems this would not make any picture or words appear, would it)? And the fan at the lamp,( which I saw spinning.) I'm lost
Thanks, please help

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. I t gave me the confidence to repair this myself.

Unknown said...

Ok I just replaced my color wheel for a Samsung HL-R6167W
I put it all back together and plugged it in and all I hear is the color wheel spinning. The wheel seems to spin fast and then slow down and repeats the process. Also sounds like the TV turns itself on and off???? I also have a question about the two wires from the color wheel. The one that looks like a ribbon has a silver side and a darker color side. Does the silver side face the back of the TV???

Michael William Scott said...

Hey, Guy.......YES, the silvery side faces the BACK of the TV.

Easiest way to put it in is to grip it firmly (but gently....if that makes sense!) with a pair of needle-nose pliers, about 1/4 inch above the silver part, then carefully press the ribbon down into the slot. The pliers will prevent the ribbon from jumping/bending/slipping.......AND allow you more room to work than if you try to squeeze your fingers in there; it's pretty tight working quarters!

Michael William Scott said...

Mimi's comment, "Yes, the whole tv has to be put together for it to work." isn't exactly correct.

You can loop a small elastic band around the pressure switch and hook it over one of the capacitors on the board behind it to temporarily try a "dry run" before putting the back on the TV.

Michael William Scott said...

Thanks for your comment re: Index Delay in the service menu, Nathan.....but how, pray tell, did you know or even suspect that THAT was THE thing (or ONE of the things) that would need adjusting/tweeking after replacing the wheel? (You an ex Mits tech or something?? :-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Just finished this fix and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the good instructions!
Luke